Monday, March 7, 2011

Information Architecture: Rendering the Collection

So in an attempt to catch up for the last class missed, I've began rendering my collection in various ways. Ideally, I would like the website to be influenced by this rendering style as well.

My layout was the larger image layout from the last deliverable. There was a better variety of formats I could use, and it didn't contain any imagery itself like the other two did. In this way it can function as a template, rather than a style. I did alter it a bit however, as well as the sitemap.












The sitemap is still rather basic. I need put some thought into what would be available on a collection website. At the moment, I'm at a loss, other than what's shown.

My first rendering method uses a vector icon-esk style, super simplifying the cameras, other than a few main features. Color can be easily applied to these, and they add a nice modern flair to an otherwise antique collection.

The Macro View













The Micro View













In the Macro view of this layout, I made use of a scrolling verticle section housing each of the cameras in the collection. They are colored in this one to better separate them, and to add some contrast to the website, which is admittedly plain at the moment. I have a lot of work ahead of me. In this version, when you hover over a camera on the left side, 4 images of the camera show on the right, highlighting defining features of the camera.

In the Micro View, after clicking a camera on the left, we are taken to that cameras own page. Here we see an infographic on the right (or would if there was one there), and get some detailed information on the camera itself. The initial image would be the icon of the camera, but the arrows to the sides of it will flip through real photos of the camera for additional visual characteristics.

For the second rendering method, I sketched the cameras, then placed them over straight on photographs of the camera. The layout of this meathod uses a few hand drawn elements to tie in with the sketchy qualities of the rendering.

The Micro View













The Macro View













I like the idea of drawing, and it has an interesting mix of old and rough, and modern and clean. Adding the photographs behind them also add a bit of shading to an otherwise black and white plain sketch. The Macro uses the same functions as the last method, but with only 2 images that are slightly larger. The Micro page has a series of photographs underneath the main camera sketch, so they can view the camera without the white filter over it.

For the final rendering method, I chose photography. For this layout, I chose to keep the hope page clean of any pop up images on the right, so as to keep the background image in view. The transparent backgrounds help to keep things relatively legible, and ads a bit of depth to a flat webpage.

The Micro View













The Macro View













This method came out as my favorite, and seemed to have more drama than the other layouts. In particular, I enjoy that the background can show large shots of small details on these cameras. While I haven't employed the idea in this method yet, i would also like the image in each macro page for each camera to contain shots of the camera you are on. This way, the image would relate more to the content of the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers