Friday, November 13, 2009

VisCom: Reading Response

I really enjoyed the recent reading from Lupton's book.  The transitions in our animations rely heavily on passing time, and it's always a good process to look at any work in a temporal aspect.  Books wouldn't seem temporal to most people, but it really is all documentation of process and the time spent on that process.  The photograph image on pg. 216 really grabbed my attention. In Tom's Foundation studio last year, we did a lot of photography based work, and the temporal was always in question.  A photograph in this instance, that shows a section of movement in time and space almost seems more temporal than the real deal.  The imagination seems to continue on with a mental inertia as the temporal shift in the piece comes to a complete stop. 

Motion graphics are something I highly prize.  I can't wait to get my hands into commercial and advertising.  Adding motion to something static adds so many more elements and possibilities to the piece.  The photo shopped billboards were a great example of showing these in a realistic scenario, and I've seen the upperclassmen examples of this, so I'm also excited to get my work out there in the world. Even though it's only a virtual preview.  This will be a skill that future employers will value I'm sure.

The transitions themselves have been interesting. I haven't dealt with animation dealing strictly with the transition before, so it's a new area of focus, and I'll have to adapt.  After the first round, I had some good concepts, so I'll have to move to the next step with more iterations and refinement I suppose. I'll also have to get some headway on my taxonomy book tomorrow. Hopefully an xacto knife can get through this plastic or I might have issues....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers