Monday, February 8, 2010

Type and Image: Lenses and Projecting text.

I've decided to use projection to get my type into the photo's physical space.  This will be acheived through a particular focal length between the lenses, a high powered light or lamp, and a transparency that the type will be printed on. After some brief testing under my desk in studio, I managed to get a little type projected onto my white wall.  If all goes according to plan, the type when projected onto the black sheet/ back drop of my set up should show a bit more vividly.  I'll have to do tests as to what size of printed text on the transparencies project the best for the size of my set.  As mentioned in an earlier post, I've also tested shooting through the viewfinder of another camera, yielding some interesting results.  They were blurry however, so hopefully shooting through my TLR, below, will provide a more crisp image.  If not, I'll have to drop the idea.

This image shows the basic structure of a projecting rig.












Mine will have a transparency in place of the lcd panel.  Holding everything by hand is very awkward and impractical, so I will have to make some rig to hold everything in place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers