Sunday, October 18, 2009

CDF: Blog Update Oct. 18th

The introduction of the contrast photos has been a great process.  Learning to take completely opposite outlooks on one form will be a necessary skill in any field in design.  Though it was difficult with the angled extrusion of my letter form, most of my photos turned out fine, although I will have to do a few adjustments to cropping since mine weren't the right size format.

I should have the new documentation photos for the 6" and 12" letters done this afternoon.  Interestingly enough, we are bringing back a little of the orthographic process to our 3d letters.  This alteration of process and dimension takes me back to my explorations of Tom's class in Freshman Year.  All so relevant and informative. Processes that I am very interested in.

Chapters I-IV were a great read too. Color hasn't been something that I've dived into much, and putting this into a period when we are using mostly black and white helps to break our curriculum up a bit. A breath of fresh air.  It's also more hands on process in cutting and placing, which I loved in doing the large and small letter forms.  Feels a little more personal rather than using programs.  There was however a section I didn't agree on.  The author mentions that letters aren't taken in by themselves, but in words.  This is true, since our language relies on groups of characters to communicate. However, they go on to say that modern typographers are wrong to think that sanserif is more legible, and that serifs are a much easier read.  I can agree with this on certain occasions, their examples being some of them, but I can't agree with the arguement as a whole.  Sanserif text simplifies the letter form and creates less clutter to sort through when reading.  Over a longer periods of reading, such as a book, serifs would be the way to go, since it leads more into the next word.  However, when it comes to speed and conveying information, such as signs, sanserif is much more practical.  I've even noticed police have been using sanserif on their cars.  Minimalism by nature, simplifies and increases practicality and reduces waste.  Sanserif in those respects will always stand as the more practical form of type in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers