Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Lomography Project 2 Statement

In the 2nd part of the Lomography project series, I attempted to make a handout using only typography. It was a difficult process that I'm still struggling to get right. The idea was design a series of "slides" with information describing Lomography and it's 10 rules to a new and unknowing viewer. I used a variety of colors for the type, but mostly kept things simple. I was hoping for my final product to be a film strip of photos taken from the printed text. I learned that by taking shots showing text that would come up in the next shot. This would create a feeling of simultaneity. The film would also be semi-transparent so you could hold the negatives up to the light to make the colors brighter and see things beyond the text in cases like my light leak and vignette filter panels. In order to get the colors right on the negative however, I learned that I have to shoot the colors inverted. I also figured out that shooting a flat black comes out more transparent than shooting white in film negatives. I guess I still have a lot to learn however, when it comes to light and film photography. My indoor lighting conditions weren't getting enough light to my film, other than the film rolls that turned out way over exposed, possibly due to heat from last summer, 4 of my 6 rolls turned out with nothing on them, completely underexposed. So I'm still learning to deal with that and I'll be redoing the project as intended at a later date.

In the meantime, I printed the text and attached it to the inside spool of an empty film canister. This represents the analog film used in Lomography, and creates a user experience and reading order as the viewer pulls the strip out of the canister to read it. I enjoyed learning how to open a film canister and close it back up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers