Monday, September 21, 2009

VisCom: Final Statement

My project, "Expand and Conquer", was meant to convey the overpowering, or take over of a country.  The imagery ended up well I believe, and the narrative formed by the order of the words was well organized.  As a whole, the book works quite well in my opinion, showing a wide array of layout decisions and design principles.  This project provided great challenges in both type arrangement and meaning, and both image and geometric layout.  To keep with the military theme, I tried to keep my layouts rather regimented, unless chaotic layouts were called for, to call attention to forms and ranks of the military, and their justified and orderly manner.  As I worked, I realized, that there must be a balance of both image and layout, as well as the process of the thing.  Getting hands on with the type and image really helped me to expand my thoughts on hands on processes. Lets tear the text, cut it, overlap, etc.  However, my book suffered at the end, due to poor craft in certain areas.  While my subject and imagery are stable, my books is too small due to over cutting.  Craft is for certain my first issue to overcome in my work. 

1 comment:

Followers